- Backup your existing system - this procedure is always recommended
before performing any system upgrades.
- Locate the directory where your existing 1.x DeskMan/2 code
- If you are going to install DeskMan/2 v2.0 using an Upgrade
edition, copy the existing DESKMAN.DLL file to a temporary location
on your hard drive or network.
- Create an Installation Directory for DeskMan/2 v2.0.
- Copy DISK1.EXE and DISK2.EXE from the installation disks
into this directory.
- Run DISK1.EXE and DISK2.EXE to decompress them into this
- Delete DISK1.EXE and DISK2.EXE from this directory.
- Download DM2REP.EXE (25K) (HTTP
if you do not already have it, and place it into the DeskMan/2
v2.0 installation directory.
- Edit and customize either the EXPRESS.RSP file or the CUSTOM.RSP
file in accordance with the options that you wish installed.
Save your customized file in the installation directory for DeskMan/2
v2.0. Note that the 1.x DESKMAN.DLL file saved in step 3 must
be refererenced in the modified .RSP file if an Upgrade edition
is being used.
- Set up your CID procedures to do the following on the target
A - Unlock the 1.x .DLLs using the DM2REP.EXE program. If this
program, downloaded into DeskMan/2 v2.0 Installation directory,
were run against files located in C:\DEVTECH, it would look like:
DM2REP 1 C:\DEVTECH\DM2EXT.DLL NULL
DM2REP 1 C:\DEVTECH\DM2ITOOL.DLL NULL
DM2REP 1 C:\DEVTECH\DM2SETUP.DLL NULL
DM2REP 1 C:\DEVTECH\VMAN.DLL NULL
B - Delete all 1.x program files not overwritten by the DeskMan/2
v2.0 software. If this were done against files located in C:\DEVTECH,
it would look like:
NOTE: The above list assumes that all DeskMan/2 v2.0 components
were installed and are being upgraded. If one or more were not
installed or are not being upgraded, see the 1.x INSTALL.LST
file for additional filename specifications to remove from the
current installation, or the 2.0 INSTALL.LST file for a list
of those files which are being installed.
C - Shutdown and reboot the system.
D - When the system is back up, locate and examine the directory
where the previously installed DeskMan/2 v1.x code was installed.
If desired, this directory and all data within it may be deleted,
or saved for possible later use.
E - Run CIDINST.EXE using the modified .RSP file to install DeskMan/2
v2.0. It is suggested that if the 1.x directory and files were
retained, that the same directory be used to install DeskMan/2
v2.0 so as to reduce duplication. Note the various options for
use with CIDINST.EXE, such as pre-installation backup and logging.
These options can be reviewed by typing CIDINST /? at a command
prompt. Please note that there are no spaces between the option
and the parameter on the command line when using CIDINST.EXE.
F - Shutdown and reboot the system.
- All desired DeskMan/2 v2.0 components should now be installed